Society accused me of being mentally ill for wearing an afro; Here is my response.

Saturday | November 5, 2016 |


As a young black male who has decided to grow his hair, I am often stereotyped; as having a lack of ambition, being a godless heathen and depending on the location in which I find myself, harassed as a criminal by security. I had never before been called mad or has it ever been implied of me that I suffer from a psychological disorder, up until yesterday when I was actually accosted and vilified by an older woman who tried to convince me and her companion that I was mad. She went as far as getting the security involved.


I let my natural hair out and they thought I was mad

All this happened because I chose to let my hair out. It did not occur to them that I am an Afro Conscious individual, in tune with my African Cultural Heritage and growing my hair is a salute to this fact. The characteristics of an African isn’t only the dark colour of the skin or the roundness of the nose, it is clearly identifiable by the swirling growth of the hair. We have however, been lead to believe that our natural  hair is unattractive, and the hostility that we have faced because of it, even now, causes many to destroy their hair using potentially harmful chemicals in an effort to look “more appealing.”

We must celebrate and be educated about our natural hair

How can any other race accept or respect us as Africans, if we fail to accept our true self. It is important therefore that we develop a greater appreciation of ourselves, before the rest of the world comes to appreciate us as Africans. The question now is, “How can we get our own people to love themselves?”
The African Cultural Renaissance Movement (ACRM), had sought a solution to this matter and through doing so, have created our annual Afro Hair Show, held in Hero’s week in October. The event is aimed at celebrating our natural beauty as well as educating students about the culture of hair in the black community.

A shift in our mindset is required. We must accept each and every African individual in their natural form. We must make it known that we love ourselves, so that same emotion will resonate across the world, demanding that we be loved and accepted as we are.  
   
Kevaughn Fraser
President 
African Cultural Renaissance Movement

No comments:

Post a Comment