ACRM Congratulates Bolt, Thompson on winning Olympic Gold



Bolt celebrates victory in the mens 100m at the Rio 2016 Olympics

ACRM heartily congratulates Usain Bolt and Elaine Thompson on winning gold at the 2016 Rio Olympics. 


Bolt wins historic third gold medal
Bolt, made history by being the first man to win three successive gold medals in the men's 100m event at the Olympics having accomplished the feat twice before in 2008, and 2012 in record breaking times. Though the record did not fall on this occasion, Bolt would have been pleased with claiming victory, having entered the Olympics after recovering from a hamstring injury which caused him to sit out the finals of the mens 100m at the JAAA National Trials in June. Speaking to The Gleaner after claiming victory, Bolt said of his achievement, "I am happy and proud of myself." He went on to add, "I came here to show the world again that I am the best, and this is a good start."


Elaine Thompson, pictured above

Thompson beats Fraser-Pryce 
Elaine Thompson however, was competing in her first Olympics, and won the womens 100m in a time of 10.71s. That time was just 0.01s outside of her personal best, ran in the finals of this years JAAA National Trials where she had defeated her compatriot and training partner at the MVP Track Club based at the University of Technology, Jamaica, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce. Thompson in claiming gold had to repeat the feat, and was able to overcome the challenge of Fraser-Pryce who was fighting through a toe injury. 

"Honestly I smile because I want to get the nerves away and I also smile because I am confident in myself because I know I train hard and I know I can do it," Elaine Thompson speaking to journalists after winning her first Olympic gold.


Bolt poses with his gold medal after winning the mens 100m at the Rio 2016 Olympics

Bolt pursuing Immortality
Bolt will aim  to immortalize himself in track and field history, by winning triple gold for a third time, as he is set to compete in both the 200m as well as the 4x100m for men. Thompson on the other hand, will look forward to winning her first Olympic double, as she is scheduled to compete in the 200m. 


Rowen A. Johnson
Public Relations Officer
rowen_johnson@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment